compiler bug

Roger B.A. Klorese rogerk at mips.COM
Thu Jan 24 10:51:58 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan23.031214.544 at tkou02.enet.dec.com> diamond at jit345.enet@tkou02.enet.dec.com (Norman Diamond) writes:
>In ANSI C, (d=e) is a perfectly legal non-lvalue value, therefore (d=e).b
>is also a perfectly legal non-lvalue value.
>(d=e),d.b  also yields a perfectly legal non-lvalue value, so I would
>agree with your suggestion that it should be equivalent.
>
>In K&R-I, the left operand of "." had to be an lvalue.  Therefore, if your
>vendor does not claim ANSI conformance, it might not be a compiler bug.

And, of course, MIPS-C claims K&R-I compliance only.  This reference is
accepted in the new ANSI C compiler which is in beta test.  (Sorry, we
have a full complement of test sites, and are not accepting any more.)
It is accepted in the K&R mode of the 2.20 compilers as well, as of now;
we will check if this should be rejected.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94086              +1 408 524-7421