How to write Trigraph like character sequences in a string (was:Re: to "OR" or not to "OR")

Norman Diamond diamond at jit533.swstokyo.dec.com
Fri May 31 11:47:20 AEST 1991

In article <1157 at mwtech.UUCP> martin at mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) writes:
>In article <RICHARD.91May29092137 at lambda.iesd.auc.dk> richard at iesd.auc.dk (Richard Flamsholt S0rensen) writes:
>>  puts("Too bad - it is impossible to use ??""! in a string  :-)");
>puts("In fact, there is another impossible way to use ?\?! in a string  :-)");
WARNING!  NOT:  >puts("and what about 1) \??!");  [as Mr. Weitzel said]
>puts("               2) ?""?!");
>puts("               3) ?""?""!");
>puts("               4) ??\!");

>1) DOESN'T work (some books about ANSI-C are not aware of this

Uh, thank you, some books that falsely claim to be about ANSI-C...
Anyone care to name names, so that readers can be warned to avoid them?

>2) and 3) should work OK, [...] I'm not quite sure about 4)

It works.
I have seen recommendations for:
but maybe I like 4) better than 5).  Furthermore, 4) and 5) work at
preprocessing time, when string concatenation has not been done yet.

Just to be perverse, here are two more:
I lied; these are not just to be perverse.  If you need trigraphs, then
you need these.
Norman Diamond       diamond at tkov50.enet.dec.com
Permission is granted to feel this signature, but not to look at it.