How soon can `sizeof (tagged_type)' be used?

Erik Naggum enag at ifi.uio.no
Tue May 21 02:45:56 AEST 1991

Norman Diamond writes:

|   sizeof (short), sizeof (long), or sizeof (other_integral_type_which_the_\
|   implementation_is_allowed_to_define_even_though_portable_programs_cannot_\
|   directly_name_this_type)

Right.  There's a subtle difference between the type of enumerators
and the enumeration type itself.  Section 3.5.2.2 of dpANS of 1/11/88
(sorry, I have the proper standard at my office) specifies that the
former have type int, while the enumerated type "shall be compatible
with an integer type; the choice of type is implementation-defined".
(Why this is so escapes me.)

</Erik>
--
Erik Naggum             Professional Programmer            +47-2-836-863
Naggum Software             Electronic Text            <enag at ifi.uio.no>