Pointers to Incomplete Types in Prototypes

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Sat May 11 09:58:42 AEST 1991

In article <1991May10.021509.9862 at athena.mit.edu> scs at adam.mit.edu writes:
>That's why I think that the one-line translation unit
>	struct bar *bp;
>is conforming, and need elicit no diagnostic.

Of course it is.  Sheesh, you guys have gotten yourselves confused.

>I admit that there may be some ambiguity here.

X3J11 has already ruled that type information is not "exported" from
an inner scope to an outer one.  It's pretty clear that the type of a
local variable has nothing to do with the type of a global one whose
identifier is temporarily "hidden" by the one in the local scope.