USENIX Standards Updates

Dave Sill dsill at relay-nswc.navy.mil
Tue Dec 13 01:26:53 AEST 1988

From: Dave Sill <dsill at relay-nswc.navy.mil>

First, let me say that I respect Shane McCarron, value his opinions on
standards-related issues, and appreciate USENIX's efforts to promote
standards awareness.

But...

The latest Standards Update was far too editorial.  In fact, it seems
to have become more of a soapbox for Mr. McCarron than an attempt to
make the masses aware of recent progress in standardization.  In
particular, Part 3, NIST (NBS) Federal Information Processing
Standards contained about one and a half paragraphs reporting what
NIST has done recently and expects to be doing in the future, but four
and a half paragraphs of opinion on the worthiness of their approach.

Apparently Mr. McCarron has trouble making the distinction between
journalism and editorialization.  The Standards Update should be just
that: an update of the progress of standardization efforts.  There are
other, more appropriate, forums, such as this mailing list/newsgroup,
for Mr McCarron's opinions.

This problem has already been brought to his attention.  In Part 8,
POSIX 1003.7 Update, he writes:
    "When I last wrote about this group, I was very critical of
    its charter and the possibility of it succeeding.  I think
    it only fair to relate that a number of people wrote me and
    said that I was too judgemental, and that I should take a
    wait and see attitude.  Bowing to the will of the people, I
    am not going to draw any conclusions about the working group
    at this time.  After the January meeting, when they have
    formalized the areas they are going to address, I will
    relate all of that information and you can decide if what
    they are doing is a good thing.  In the interim, if you want
    more information, or would like to share your opinions with
    me, please drop me a line."

Exactly, Mr. McCarron, relate the information and let the reader form
his own opinion.

=========
The opinions expressed above are mine.

"Money is congealed energy."