Machine Readable ANSI C Std?

williams at nrl-css.arpa williams at nrl-css.arpa
Thu Mar 24 06:12:06 AEST 1988

From: williams at nrl-css.arpa

	Is there a machine readable copy of the ANSI C standard available?
	 "   "   "   "  available via anonymous ftp?
	-russ

	[ I don't think so.  Does anyone know for sure?  -mod ]

	Volume-Number: Volume 13, Number 24

Alas, no.  ANSI makes its money from publishing standards.  If there was
a machine readable copy of the standard around for anonymous ftp, then many
people would get a hold of it that way, rather than buy it from ANSI.
Therefore, we can not distribute it electronically.  (We do, of course,
keep it on a computer for editing purposes, but it isn't available to
the public.)

My own personal opinion is that standards ought to be developed by some
sort of subsidized, not-for-profit organization, and be available at media
cost.  (For all I know ANSI may BE "not-for-profit".  That still doesn't
mean they'll give away the standards they create.)

If you want a paper copy of the current Draft, write to the address below.
(This came from a previous std-unix posting.)

                Global Press
                2625 Hickory St.
                P.O. Box 2504
                Santa Anna, CA 92707-3783
                U.S.A.
                800-854-7179
                +1-714-540-9870 (from outside the U.S., ask for extension 245.)
                TELEX 692 373

[ They moved.  More currently, they appear to be:

		Global Engineering Documents
		2805 McGaw
		Irvine, CA 92714
		USA
		+1-714-261-1455
		+1-800-854-7179

-mod ]

Ask for the X3.159 draft standard.  The price is $65.

Jim Williams
X3J11, The ANSI C Committee

There is no 'd' in "kluge"!  It rhymes with "deluge", not "sludge".

James W. Williams			williams at nrl-css.arpa
Systems Administrator, Code 5505
Information Technology Division
Naval Research Laboratory		(202) 767-9035
Washington, DC 20375