is struct utimbuf in the standard sys/types.h?

Donn Terry donn at hpfcrn.fc.hp.com
Sun Aug 5 03:29:20 AEST 1990

From:  Donn Terry <donn at hpfcrn.fc.hp.com>

(More to "is struct utimbuf...")

Don Lewine's posting reminded me (I can't remember EVERYTHING) about
the issue of additional fields in structures.  All my comments in my
filled in (at least initially) by the system.  For ones that are
sent to the system, created from "nowhere", there is an additional
problem, that of "how can a portable application know to/how to
initialize additional (vendor-defined) fields?".

The solution in the 1990 revision is to prohibit additional fields
for the structures like that.  (A vendor is then required to provide
a new call to set microseconds, or whatever.)

It was agreed that this was not the most desireable solution, but it
was the only one that worked.

Donn Terry
Same disclaimer.