is struct utimbuf in the standard sys/types.h?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.uucp
Sat Aug 4 04:01:55 AEST 1990

From:  guy at auspex.uucp (Guy Harris)

>My understanding is that not only has the utimbuf structure been
>standardized and included in sys/utime.h, but it was changed in
>a manner incompatible with current practice.

Your understanding is incorrect, if you're thinking of IEEE Std
1003.1-1988.  Your description of the alleged change sounds like a
description of the arguments to the 4.[2andup]BSD "utimes" call (*not*
"utime" - that's still in 4.[2andup]BSD, and is specified to act in the
V7 fashion - see below), which takes a pointer to an array of two
"struct timeval"s, each one having a "tv_sec" and "tv_usec" member.

IEEE Std 1003.1-1988 says, on page 104, that

	The 'utimbuf' structure is defined by the header <utime.h>, and
	includes the following members:

		Member		Member
		 Type		 Name		Description
		time_t		actime		Access time
		time_t		modtime		Modification time

which is just what S5 does (and what V7 did, more or less, although it
took a pointer to an array of two "time_t"s - this would *probably* have
the same binary format as the structure in question).