qfork()

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Sat Dec 29 07:54:07 AEST 1990

Submitted-by: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II)

In article <16271 at cs.utexas.edu> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>How about "executes any code that changes the state of the program". So,
>for example:

executing =any= code changes the state of the program.  that's the whole
problem with this restriction - how much code is too much.

>At this point, unless I'm confused about legal interpretations of "qfork()",
>the value of "child" is indeterminate.

what is probably needed is a "spawn()" function (god, i never thought i'd
advocate such a critter) which can be responsible for understanding the
legalese.  if the only thing you can do after "qfork()" is "exec()", why
not merge the two steps into a single function?  sounds like the only way
to get it right anyhow.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"While you are here, your wives and girlfriends are dating handsome American
 movie and TV stars. Stars like Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis, and Bart Simpson."