disabling TIOCGPGRP on pty master sides

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Sat Dec 29 15:25:11 AEST 1990

Submitted-by: sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan)

In article <16290 at cs.utexas.edu> thorinn at diku.dk (Lars Henrik Mathiesen) writes:
>By the way, I will hazard a guess: Most, if not all, of the UNIX
>variants where the existing practice of Emacs doesn't work will have
>SYSV termios ioctls.

Yep.  All POSIX systems.

>So instead of putting in ifdefs for two or three
>subtly incompatible new TIOCSENDSIGs, we might as well put in the four
>lines to get a termios structure and stuff the appropriate character
>down the master pty.

(shell)
<stuff>
kithrup 341> stty intr ^Y
kithrup 342> <C-cC-c>^?<C-cC-c>^?<C-cC-c>^?<C-cC-c>^?

Gosh.  It doesn't seem to be sending the control-y to the slave side of the
pty!  And, gosh, if it tries to do a TCGETAW, it just hangs!  (Actually, I
think it gets a SIGTTIN.)

Some of this is SCO specific.  But without rewriting the pty driver, *any*
POSIX system with ptys is going to have the same problem (since sco's pty
drivers aren't that different from berkeley's).

According to email I exchanged with someone at CSRG, 4.4 will support the
old method, but as an obsolescent feature.

If the text is so ambiguous that it is implemented differently on every
system, that means that you will need more ifdef's than with just the
TIOCSIG ioctl.

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."