disabling TIOCGPGRP on pty master sides

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Sat Dec 15 06:52:18 AEST 1990

Submitted-by: sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan)

In article <15827 at cs.utexas.edu> nix%valis.asd.sgi.com at SGI.COM (Insufficient Dada) writes:
>This behavior breaks
>the subshell handling of GNU Emacs, and apparently interferes with the
>operation of the XView terminal emulator as well.

First of all, emacs needs to do a setsid() in the sub-process; this makes
the pty it's controlling terminal (at least, this is how it works under
SCO's unix).

Second of all, because of the problem with tcgetpgrp() on another process'
pty, I added (for my own use) a new ioctl to the pty driver, called TIOCSIG
(as in, ioctl(fd, TIOCSIG, signo)), which sends an arbitray signal to the
process group on fd.  (Since I did it only for emacs, I didn't put in any
checks for security, although I plan on doing so eventually.)

I got this idea from a discussion with people at Berkeley.

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."