portability of tar tapes

David Dick drd at siia.MV.COM
Tue Jul 10 05:01:29 AEST 1990

From:  drd at siia.MV.COM (David Dick)

>From: cazier at mbunix.mitre.org (Cazier)
>How portable are tar tapes from one machine to another. My experience
>has been that tar within a vendor's site is portable but to try to
>carry a tar 1/4" tape from one vendor to another --- that's another story.

The trouble with 1/4 inch tapes is not tar format, but format
of recording data on the tape: there are QIC-11, QIC-24, and QIC-150
(and maybe others).  I'm not even sure that having QIC-11 or QIC-24
is even sufficient.  However, I suspect all the QIC-150s are the same.

David Dick
Software Innovations, Inc. [the Software Moving Company (sm)]