Printing Standards?

J Greely jgreely at cis.ohio-state.edu
Sun Jul 8 06:42:16 AEST 1990

From:  jgreely at cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely)

In article <797 at longway.TIC.COM> domo at tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) writes:
[discussion of POSIX specifying only minimal print standard,
bare-bones SysV lp]

>All rather depressing really.

Actually, I find it encouraging.  It means that the world won't
standardize on either SysV *or* Berkeley print spooling, which means
that there's room for someone to write something good.  Lpr and
company are a bitch for a large network, and I wouldn't even *try* to
run lp on 300 machines.  What's needed is a real batch system that
scales to a large network (and please, Ghod, make it administerable by
a mortal).
--
J Greely (jgreely at cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)