Standards Update, IEEE 1003.6: Security

peter da silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Wed Jul 11 01:43:41 AEST 1990

From:  peter at ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva)

In article <802 at longway.TIC.COM> pkr at sgi.com (Phil Ronzone) writes:
[had a B1 UNIX box]
> But they forgot to tell us what the passwords were. Although we had
> physical possesion of the machine, in a company that also make computers,
> it would have taken us a while to "boot" the system (i.e., insecurely).

And if you needed to use the machine, you would have been out of luck.

For some people that level of security has a negative value. It's that
simple. It's not like we're saying "we want all UNIX systems to be
insecure", we're saying "we don't want all UNIX systems to come with
that level of security". Can't you see the difference?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.