Report on ISO POSIX meeting of June 1990

Dominic Dunlop domo at tsa.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 21:36:58 AEST 1990

From:  Dominic Dunlop <domo at tsa.co.uk>

In article <796 at longway.TIC.COM> Dominic Dunlop <domo at tsa.co.uk>
(that's me) writes of the forthcoming IS 9945-1 (POSIX operating system
interface):

>     Its technical content will be identical to that of
>     ANSI/IEEE Std. 1003.1:1988, so implementors following
>     the U.S. standard can be assured of ISO compliance when
>     9945-1 finally sees the light of day.

I also say the same thing later:

>Where all does this leave us?  With no published
>international standard as yet, but with a very good prospect
>of having one this year.  Until it arrives, keep using the
>bilious green book, IEEE std. 1003.1:1988, as its technical
>content is identical to that of the eventual ISO standard.

A couple of people have pointed out to me that this ain't strictly so:
a few small changes have crept in.  If you say ``almost identical'', you're
more correct -- if a little more worried.  This year's revision of 1003.1
will bring it exactly into line with the eventual ISO standard.

I have asked the respondents to make postings to this group summarizing
the technical differences between the published ANSI/IEEE standard, and
the ANSI/IEEE and ISO standards expected to be published later this
year.  (Thanks in advance.)
--
Dominic Dunlop