Standards Update, Recent Standards Activities

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Wed Jul 4 07:07:30 AEST 1990

From:  Doug Gwyn <gwyn at smoke.brl.mil>

>From:  guy at auspex.uucp (Guy Harris)
>In other words, I don't think there's a solution to the problem of "oh
>dear, how are we going to get all our applications modified to put out
>grammatically-correct messages in different languages without having to
>examine all the code that generates messages and possibly rewrite some
>of that code" other than teaching the system a fair bit about lots of
>human languages.

Might as well leave out the clause "other than ...".

Perhaps we could persuade those who think there should be a simple rule
for writing just one message text when programming for a variety of
cultures to use Esperanto for their messages.  At least that way they
will be understood just as readily by all customers..  :-)