Standards Update, IEEE 1003.0: POSIX Guide

Terry Laskodi terryl at tekcrl.labs.tek.com
Fri May 4 03:27:30 AEST 1990

From: Terry Laskodi <terryl at tekcrl.labs.tek.com>

In article <661 at longway.TIC.COM>, cazier at mbunix.mitre.org (Cazier) writes:

>Why would any vendor feel "punished" because they can't meet some
>standard? I imagine there will be lots of OS's that can't meet the
>standards fully....but why should they feel punished?
>
>POSIX is not likely to impact your sales much, would it?

     If you sell to the federal government, then yes, sales probably would be
impacted a GREAT deal. Have you ever read the requirements for a fed bid on a
software project? Not a pretty sight. The specifications are just vague enough
such that (in UN*X, anyways), one scratches one's head and says "well,this spec
could probably be met by <insert-appropriate-un*x-command-here>".

     Hopefully, POSIX will reduce the amount of paperwork required for specs
quite a bit (hey, we can dream, can't we???).

				Terry Laskodi
				     of
				Tektronix