Answer to "what does POSIX stand for?"

Don_Lewine at dgc.ceo.dg.com Don_Lewine at dgc.ceo.dg.com
Thu May 3 04:17:10 AEST 1990

In article <649 at longway.TIC.COM> From: Al Gaspar <gaspar at STL-08SIMA.ARMY.MIL>:

>Could someone please tell me what POSIX stand for?

>From the Rationale and Note section of IEEE Std 1003.1-1988 section B.1:

"Since the interface enables application writers to write portable
applications -- it was developed with that goal in mind -- it has been
dubbed POSIX, an acronym for Portable Operations System Interface.  The
name POSIX, suggested by Richard Stallman, was adopted during the printing
of the Trial Use Standard."

"... The term POSIX is expected to be pronounced pahz-icks, as in positive,
not poh-six, or other variations."

	Hope that helps.

				--Don Lewine