Standards Update, IEEE 1003.4: Real-time Extensions

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Fri Oct 12 10:31:15 AEST 1990

Submitted-by: peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva)

In article <13442 at cs.utexas.edu> fouts at bozeman.bozeman.ingr (Martin Fouts) writes:
> Short persistance IPC mechanisms found in multithreaded shared memory
> implementations consist of a small region of memory and a lock guarding
> that region.  Producer/consumer parallelism using this mechanism does
> not need to be visible.  Effectively, this is the shared memory
> equivalent of an unnamed pipe.

Effectively, this *is* shared memory. And shared memory has proven itself
to be a viable candidate for insertion into the name space.

I didn't say that every application of an IPC mevchanism should have its
own entry in the name space. Creating a file for each element in a shared
memory region makes about as much sense as creating a file for each
message in a pipe. But the region itself should be visible from the
outside.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`