Standards Update, IEEE 1003.4: Real-time Extensions

Chip Salzenberg chip at tct.uucp
Sat Oct 20 00:04:12 AEST 1990

Submitted-by: chip at tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg)

[ Is it my imagination, or is this thread getting stale?
  Oh well.  I think John will be back soon.  He can decide. --Fletcher ]

According to fouts at bozeman.bozeman.ingr (Martin Fouts):
>Of course, if I have to acquire a file handle for my IPC, I can't
>imlement it as efficiently as if I just do it locally in shared memory
>and don't bother the system about it's existance.

Well, if the system doesn't know about it, then it's not a system IPC
facility.  If, however, the system does know about it, then it has to
have a handle, which might as well be a small integer -- i.e. a file
descriptor.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip at tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
    "I've been cranky ever since my comp.unix.wizards was removed