File system name space

Chet Ramey chet at cwns1.INS.CWRU.Edu
Thu Oct 25 03:41:44 AEST 1990

Submitted-by: chet at cwns1.INS.CWRU.Edu (Chet Ramey)

Arnold Robbins writes:

>Anyway, since we're discussing what is and isn't in the POSIX name space,
>I'd like to put in a plug for the /dev/fd directory.

I agree; it makes things like

	join <(prog1) <(prog2) > joined-output-of-progs-1-and-2

possible.

>There's lot of existing practice on this one; it originated in V8, circa
>1984 or earlier, and PD versions for various, more popular, Unix incarnations
>have been around for some time as well.

Keith Bostic has stated that /dev/fd will be in the next release of BSD;
for all I know, it might already be in 4.3-reno.

Chet
--
Chet Ramey			``As I recall, Doug was keen on boxing.  But
Network Services Group		  when he learned to walk, he took up puttin'