USENIX Standards Funding Decisions

Don_Lewine at dgc.ceo.dg.com Don_Lewine at dgc.ceo.dg.com
Tue Oct 2 23:24:54 AEST 1990

Submitted-by: Don_Lewine at dgc.ceo.dg.com

In article <106937 at uunet.UU.NET>, jsq at usenix.org (John S. Quarterman) writes:
|> Submitted-by: jsq at usenix.org (John S. Quarterman)
|>
|> The USENIX Board of Directors met 24-25 September.
               .  .  .
|> The following USENIX standards activities will cease at the end of the
|> present funding, i.e., in November 1990:
               .  .  .
|> moderation of newsgroup comp.std.unix and mailing list
std-unix at uunet.uu.net,

This is a terrible idea!  comp.std.unix is one of the best newsgroups
on the net.  The moderation seems to help a great deal.  The overall
signal/noise ratio is very high and the group is not flooded with
flame wars.

I don't know who to write and express my opinion, but I do want to
protest.  What does comp.std.unix cost per Usenix member?  I would
be happy to kick in my share.

Donald A. Lewine                (508) 870-9008 Voice
Data General Corporation        (508) 366-0750 FAX
4400 Computer Drive. MS D112A
Westboro, MA 01580  U.S.A.

uucp: uunet!dg!lewine   Internet: lewine at cheshirecat.webo.dg.com