Standards Update, IEEE 1003.4: Real-time Extensions

Andy Glew aglew at crhc.uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 4 16:21:55 AEST 1990

Submitted-by: aglew at crhc.uiuc.edu (Andy Glew)

>In the filesystem abstraction, you open a filename in one stage. You
>can't do anything between initiating the open and finding out whether or
>not it succeeds. This just doesn't match reality, and it places a huge
>restriction on programs that want to do something else while they
>communicate.

Sounds like you want an asynchronous open facility, much like the
asynchronous read and write that others already have on their wish
list for file I/O (and other I/O) (not everyone believes that multiple
threads are the way to do asynch I/O).

--
Andy Glew, a-glew at uiuc.edu [get ph nameserver from uxc.cso.uiuc.edu:net/qi]