USENIX Standards Funding Decisions

Glen Overby overby at plains.uucp
Thu Oct 4 12:55:05 AEST 1990

Submitted-by: overby at plains.uucp (Glen Overby)

In article <13100 at cs.utexas.edu> Don_Lewine at dgc.ceo.dg.com writes:
[on the cancellation of Usenix support for moderation of comp.std.unix]

>This is a terrible idea!  comp.std.unix is one of the best newsgroups
>on the net.  The moderation seems to help a great deal.  The overall
>signal/noise ratio is very high and the group is not flooded with
>flame wars.

I agree with Don that this group is high quality, and I appreciate the work
that the snitches and others have done to create all the quality information
we see here on a very timely basis.  I would like to see this continue, even
if Usenix does not want to pay for supporting it.

If John is willing to continue as moderator on a volunteer basis, I applaud
him.  If not, I would like to see him call for a volunteer moderator before
turning the group into an unmoderated zoo and flame fest.
--
		Glen Overby	<overby at plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby at plains (Bitnet)