Questions/comments about POSIX bc (P1003.2/D11)

Phil Nelson phil at cs.wwu.edu
Tue Apr 30 10:44:42 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: phil at cs.wwu.edu (Phil Nelson)

Hello,

  I've been working on an implementation of bc and have been
using the POSIX draft as a definition of the language.  In
working on the program, I have found several problems with
the draft.  I have P1003.2/D11 and any line number references
are from that draft.  The following are what I consider to be
problems.  If I am wrong, please help me understand what the
committee intended.

  1)  The character '-' "shall" be recognized as both the token
      ADD_OP and the token '-'.
      lines: 1587, 1670, 1737, 1738, 1749-1751

  2)  Lines 1642-1644 are
         parameter_list       : LETTER
                              | define_list ',' LETTER
      I presume it should be
         parameter_list       : LETTER
                              | parameter_list ',' LETTER

  3)  Lines 1836-1838 state "A whole array passed as an argument
      shall be specified by the array name followed by empty square
      brackets."
      a) I find no provision in the grammar in the definition of the
         parameter list define a parameter as an array.  (See lines
         1642-1644.)
      b) No provision is made in the grammar for the specification of
         an array in the actual function call. (See 1657-1659.)

  I am interested in knowing if these have been noticed before and if
  there are changes to the draft.

  Phil Nelson
  phil at cs.wwu.edu