Opinions on prospective standards sought

Shane McCarron ahby at uinj.UI.ORG
Tue Apr 30 02:31:18 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: ahby at uinj.UI.ORG (Shane McCarron)

> Submitted-by: barmar at think.uucp (Barry Margolin)
>
> I think the SEC's decision was good.  First, for all of the reasons that
> others have mentioned.  Second, because I'm not sure that IEEE P1003 is the
> appropriate umbrella standards organization for Motif or OpenLook.  ANSI
> X3H3.6 is standardizing window systems (X3H3 is the technical committee on
> computer graphics) and GUIs (I think Xlib is currently on their agenda).  I
> was under the impression (perhaps mistaken) that Motif and OpenLook are
> intended to be portable beyond just Unix, so it would be inappropriate to
> standardize them as part of POSIX.

Actually, X3H3.6 has requested that TCOS take Xlib and anything above
that layer because they aren't going to get to it (my understanding).
However, I agree that 1003 is not the appropriate place.  1224 on the
other hand may be appropriate for higher level GUI interfaces.

--
Shane P. McCarron			ATT:	+1 201 263-8400 x232
Project Manager				UUCP:	s.mccarron at ui.org