IEEE TCOS, New Orleans, January 1991: EurOpen IR's report

Dominic Dunlop domo at tsa.co.uk
Tue Feb 5 01:50:55 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: domo at tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop)

Hal Jespersen adds the following to my report (Volume 22, Number 92):

>  4. The requirement for IEEE membership appears recently to
>     have been dropped, although the rule book has yet to be
>     amended.

This was an incorrect annoucement at the IEEE COmputer Society
Standards Coordinating Committee (SCC) meeting.  The Stds Board
disapproved this idea.

>    - Once a balloting group has been formed, it persists
>      indefinitely with a static membership.  Only if there
>      are problems in getting the required 75% response to
>      ballots is the membership of a group reviewed.

The 75% response rule is only for the first ballot.  During recirculations,
considerably less paper can flow.  And does.

(Recirculation ballots occur to check the acceptability of the amendments
which have been made to a draft standard as a result of the the
objections and comments received in a previous round of balloting.
While these amendments are generally intended to change negative votes
into positive, it is possible that they may have the reverse effect if
it turns out that balloters object strongly to some of the changes.
Recirculation ballots check that more, rather than less, consensus is
being achieved.)

--
Dominic Dunlop