access permissions in 1003.1

Dave Decot decot at hpcupt1.cup.hp.com
Tue Jun 18 13:11:51 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: decot at hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Dave Decot)

>> HP solved this, I believe (at least, according to an article in _The Journal
>> of C Language Translation_).  I looked into this, way back when I was
>> involved with development system work, and came up with a couple of
>> solutions, at least one of which will likely be used.  (They're both fairly
>> obvious.)
>
> HP is *already* claiming Posix compliance, and you say one of the
> solutions "will likely be used".  *That* is precisely the problem.
>
> 	-mib

Well, it's not a problem in HP's case.  HP first released POSIX.1 conformance
(and XPG3 and ANSI C conformance) in HP-UX 7.0 (completed in November of 1989).

That release included support for secondary definitions as described in the
referenced JoCLT article, and used it to prevent link-time namespace pollution.

I believe that "will be used" was referring to the poster's own system,
not HP-UX.

Dave Decot, HP
Disclaimer: my opinions only.