access permissions in 1003.1

Michael I Bushnell mib at geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu
Wed Jun 5 07:47:09 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: mib at geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell)

In article <1991Jun3.225808.8518 at uunet.uu.net> OFM writes:

   [ Personal comment here:  the one vendor I personally know who had
     qualms about full POSIX compliance did so because of backwards-
     compatibility problems.  I suspect many vendors will have the
     same reservations.  So, how about it:  is full compliance worth
     breaking old programs/scripts?  --mod ]

I'm most interested in Posix.1, so I'll address that.  If a compiler
switch is provided (like gcc -ansi) then full compliance is possible.
Given the _POSIX_SOURCE feature test macro, OS designers can load all
they want in, and turn it off only when _POSIX_SOURCE is defined.  I'm
writing a Posix compliant system which will also be 4.4BSD compatable;
I know whereof I speak.

	-mib