access permissions in 1003.1

Michael I Bushnell mib at geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu
Tue Jun 4 07:44:31 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: mib at geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell)

In article <1991Jun3.192534.28089 at uunet.uu.net> clive at x.co.uk (Clive Feather) writes:

   Let us not. Let us RTFS instead.

Sigh.  RTFS, of course, stands for Read The Source.  Which, of course,
is the way these kinds of issues were once handled in Unix-land.
Later came "experiment", which also confirms the Posix method.  Since
nobody but the FSF seems to want real Posix.1 compliance and ANSI C
compliance in one system, I guess Reat The Standard will not be a good
clue to the behavior of Posix compliance claiming systems.

	-mib

[ Personal comment here:  the one vendor I personally know who had
  qualms about full POSIX compliance did so because of backwards-
  compatibility problems.  I suspect many vendors will have the
  same reservations.  So, how about it:  is full compliance worth
  breaking old programs/scripts?  --mod ]