Hardware freaks Unite (on this one)

Mariusz Stanczak Mariusz at fbits.ttank.com
Mon Apr 29 04:18:23 AEST 1991

In article <51582 at rphroy.UUCP>, tkacik at hobbes.cs.gmr.com (Tom Tkacik CS/50) writes:
> The 3B1 uses a 68010 processor running at 10MHz.  The rest of the system
[...]
> Memory speed is not the bottleneck.  The processor is the bottleneck.
[...]
> The 68010 uses 4 clock cycles to access one word of memory.
> At 10MHz, that's 400ns.  The memory used in the 3B1 is 150ns.  With all of
> the delays on the motherboard, (and through the 68010 itself), that work's
> out about right.  When slower memory is used, (like the ROM for example),
[...]
> Higher performance in the 3b1 will only be gained by either
> increasing the processor speed,
> or by putting in a more powerful processor (68020 or 68030).
[...]
> The problem with putting in a 68020 or 68030 has been hashed out before,
> (the interrupt stack frame problem, which required kernel hacks to get it
> to work).

Good stuff... the right numbers tell (to the right person) the story.
And, that just about closes the topic... doesn't it? (at least for me...
I better leave speedup ideas to the better equipped).  Still it'd be
nice (dream on boy ;-)).  And the one I still have (a "realizable fantasy")
is a SCSI I/F.  How is that progressing?

-Mariusz
INET: Mariusz at fbits.ttank.com
CIS : 71601.2430 at compuserve.com
UUCP: ..!uunet!zardoz!ttank!fbits!Mariusz