19.2K on a 3b1

DoN Nichols dnichols at ceilidh.beartrack.com
Tue Apr 2 13:40:34 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr1.161805.29133 at cbnewsc.att.com> cmv at cbnewsc.att.com (C M Votava) writes:
>DoN Nichols writes:
>>                           Let's face it, there just isn't much muscle for
>>handling interrupts at the rate that 19.2k requires.  (I'd love for an
>>intelligent serial card with its own dma to be produced for the system (with
>>appropriate drivers).
>
>Well, an interesting project would be to take the DOS-73 board, any of the many
>available public domain RS-232 software drivers available, toss the DOS 3.1 OS
>(et. al.), and write some "glue" code to come up with your own intelligent

	[ ... ]

>information. One machine ends up being the "slave" and one is the "master".
>I haven't even looked into this much, but it sounds interesting on the surface.

	Halleluliah!  A use for the DOS-73 board which I have (without the
software that goes with it).  Only problem is that I've actively avoided the
Intel instructions sets, for reasons that only became more obvious when the
went from the 8080 to the 8086 :-).  I've worked with 6800, 6809, and 68k
instruction sets.  (I wish I had a board comprable to the DOS-73, except
with the 6809 on it.)

	Anybody remember how much ROM space is actually present on the
board?  (Not that we'd need more than about (1 or 2)k, at least for the
simple-minded serial-I/O.  The Brooklyn Bridge would be another thing, but
that could be loaded into the board's ram from disk.)

>Anybody game?

	Anybody have enough time :-)
	DoN.

--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564