SW installation order questions

John Ruckstuhl ruck at reef.cis.ufl.edu
Sun Apr 21 19:09:17 AEST 1991

I am about to do a new installation.  Are there any restrictions to the
order that one loads SW packages?  I seem to remember some dependencies
being discussed.  Is it necessary to load Fix Disk 1 before loading Fix
Disk 2?

I might load (in any order, unless advised otherwise)
    Communications Patch Version 3.51
    AT&T TELEPHONE 3.51
    ATE 3.51
    DEVELOPMENT SET 3.5
    DOCUMENT PREPARATION 3.5
    ENHANCED EDITORS 3.5
    ENCRYPTION SET 3.51
    LPI-PASCAL
    HDB uucp
Then
    Fix Disk 1
    Fix Disk 2
    The recently posted ?kernel?-patch to support MGR without HW.

What are the reasons to load each of the following?
    3.0 Archive Interface (from Utilities 3.5)
    Curses Terminfo Programmer's Package (from Utilities 3.5)
    Virtual Device Interface (from Utilities 3.5)
    Curses/Terminfo End User Package Disk (from System Software 3.51)
    Terminfo Database Disk (from System Software 3.51)
    GSS-Drivers (from System Software 3.51)
Are there any common applications that require any of these?  Aren't
some people using "cdraw" and does it require GSS-Drivers?  Again, are
there dependencies?

BTW, in my experience, there is no problem using Utilities 3.5 with
System Software 3.51.

Thank you for your help.
Best Regards,
ruck