3b1 security and removal of ua

Boyd Ostroff ostroff at Oswego.EDU
Fri Apr 5 15:36:12 AEST 1991

In article <375 at unx-pc.UUCP> steve at unx-pc.UUCP (Stephen Hess) writes:
>I'm thinking of removing of the ua and was wondering if there was anything
>I had to keep.

I'm sure lots of people will disagree on this one, but here's a list of
everything I removed from my 3B1.  DANGER * DANGER * DANGER : I don't
suggest this for the inexperienced or weak-of-heart.  Don't even THINK
about removing all these UNLESS you know what they are and are sure YOU
don't need them.  For me, I haven't missed them at all in the last two years.
I run my own very simple windowing system (wlogin) on the console and
do system administration the old, user-hostile, manual way.

ONE MORE TIME: you'd better be pretty damn sure you know what you're doing
before tying this!  Basically, I just did a rm -rf on the following:

usr/lib/termhelp
usr/lib/ua
etc/fixes
etc/ph
etc/wmgr
etc/smgr
usr/bin/300
usr/bin/300s
usr/bin/4014
usr/bin/450
usr/bin/470
usr/bin/478
usr/bin/greek
usr/bin/xtt
usr/bin/xts
usr/bin/xtd
usr/bin/ua
usr/bin/fsetup
usr/bin/hp
usr/bin/hplj
usr/bin/info
usr/bin/Namesys.sh
usr/bin/mailsetup
usr/bin/GSS.sh
usr/bin/phpref
usr/bin/terminal.sh
usr/bin/password
usr/bin/wfc
usr/bin/uahelp
usr/bin/uaupd
usr/bin/.!.
usr/bin/pwdmenu
usr/bin/tutor
usr/bin/Users.sh
usr/bin/Ulogin
usr/bin/Restore.sh
usr/bin/Backup.sh
usr/bin/Diagnos.sh
usr/bin/Fcopy.sh
usr/bin/Fformat.sh
usr/bin/Fformat10.sh
usr/bin/FlpyChk.sh
usr/bin/Funlock.sh
usr/bin/practice
usr/bin/md_format
usr/bin/msdos
usr/bin/MsdosF.sh
usr/bin/MsdosR.sh
usr/bin/MsdosW.sh
usr/bin/md_write
usr/bin/.umodem.tmp

>Its taking up valuable space that I can use.

Before getting too excited, I think this was pretty drastic surgery, but
it only freed up a little over 1MB on my disk....

>this will help to make my 3b1 more secure, are there any more suggestion
>that the net can offer me.

Get and thoroughly read the book UNIX SYSTEM SECURITY by Wood and Kochan,
Hayden Books, 1985, ISBN 0-8104-6267-2.  It's filled with good suggestions
and (for the most part) is directly applicable to the 3B1, assuming you've
gotten rid of the UA....

>THANX for any input that is offer for both the removal of the ua and
>creating a more secure 3b1 ( if such a thing is possible ;-).--

Underneath its cosmetic shell, the 3B1 is just another System V Unix box.
Within those limitations, there's no reason it shouldn't be possible.