Silent mail handler

Chris Lewis clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca
Fri Apr 5 17:38:38 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar29.105053.20573 at blilly.UUCP> bruce at balilly (Bruce Lilly) writes:

>Depending on "attributes", I've seen smail 3.1 turn a perfectly fine
>(envelope address) "foo%bar at fribble.com" (the names have been changed
>to protect the innocent) into garbage like "fribble.com!foo%bar".
>That's (1) not a valid RFC822 address because it does not contain an
>'@', and (2) if one interprets the '%' as a low-priority '@' (in
>accordance with RFC1123), mail gets delivered to the wrong machine.

Actually, it looks right to me.  Especially if it reroutes fribble.com.
Ie: foo%bar at fribble.com -> fribble.com!foo%bar -reroute->
path-to-fribble.com!foo%bar.  Then, at fribble.com, the % is changed
to a "@", and voila - send to user "foo" on "bar".  That's what was
intended right?  I guess it depends on what your connection to fribble.com
is.
--
Chris Lewis,
clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca or ...uunet!mitel!cunews!latour!ecicrl!clewis