BITFTP

Bruce Lilly bruce at balilly
Sat Apr 27 22:02:55 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr26.222142.20836 at chance.UUCP> john at chance.UUCP (John R. MacMillan) writes:
>|For those of you who use BITFTP to get your files to the 3b1:  I'm curious
>|about something.  I never really had a problem using BITFTP when I was
>|getting mail sent to a machine that was directly connected to UUNET... but
>|it seems that when I involve another path with 2 more machines, BITFTP won't
>|send the files to me... and BITFTP won't respond to the command HELP either,
>|so I had no choice but to post to the net.  Anyone have any ideas as to why
>|this is a problem?
>
>It may be that one or more of the sites is dropping BITFTP traffic on
>the floor.  [ ... ]

It's also quite likely that BITNET bitrot is causing the message to be
dropped. If I send a BITFTP request from home (address
bruce%blilly at broadcast.sony.com) it will fail because BITNET horribly
mangles the address (I don't have a copy of the exact mangling, but I
recall that, for a start, the user name was converted to upper case, and
the RFC822/1123 ``local part'' of the address was damaged, causing the
message to be dropped as undeliverable at broadcast.sony.com). It works
at work (address bruce at broadcast.sony.com).

BITFTP manages to mangle return addresses so badly that a response may not
make it back to the requestor even though all intermediate site are
willing and able to handle the volume.
--
	Bruce Lilly		blilly!balilly!bruce at sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM