TeX on the 3b1

Bill Meahan wwm at wa8tzg.mi.org
Thu Apr 25 07:57:32 AEST 1991

In article <15258 at helios.TAMU.EDU> dlb5404 at tamuts.tamu.edu (Daryl Biberdorf) writes:
>In article <92 at morwyn.UUCP> forrie at morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes:
>>
>>I have gotten the files from OSU-CIS and TeX version 3.0 binaries from
>>elsewhere... now I'm stuck, and would appreciate it if someone could tell
>>me a little more about TeX, what it does, and how to make it work.
>
>TeX is a big program created by Donald Knuth at Stanford.  It's basically
>a computer typesetter that does *real* typesetting.
>
>For more information (there's a lot), check out the TeXbook by
>Knuth or the LaTeX book by Leslie Lamport.  Both are published by
>Addison Wesley.  Btw, LaTeX is a bunch of macros that sit on top of
>TeX that actually make it usable (I don't like plain TeX much...but
>some people will vehemently disagree).  Also, TeX is pronounced 'tech',
>not 'tecks'.
>
>--Daryl Biberdorf,  dlb5404 at tamuts.tamu.edu
>  Texas A&M University

Much more information can be obtained from the comp.text.tex newsgroup.

BTW, there exists a version of TeX 3.1 for the 3B1 (I'm using it).
I got binaries from a private party whom I will NOT identify (no legal
problems - I just don't want his mailbox overflowing :-)

Presumably SOMEONE out there can make it widely available.  (And, no, I
can't put it on OSU because my only connection with the outside world is
by 2400-baud UUCP and the compressed cpio archive takes up 10 floppies).
--
Bill Meahan (WA8TZG)             |   Programming is simple:
wwm at wa8tzg.mi.org  OR            |