SPICE 3c1 has been updated again... (was Re: OSU-CIS Archives ...)

Lenny Tropiano lenny at risctakr.austin.ibm.com
Wed Apr 17 22:49:44 AEST 1991

In article <6654 at awdprime.UUCP> lenny at risctakr.austin.ibm.com writes:
[...]
>Also, I'm going to put a copy of SPICE 3c1, the circuit simulation tool.
>This is a source distribution, graphics ported to the UNIX PC by
>James Warner Adams,<adams at ucunix.san.uc.edu>.  The distribution is quite big,
>1.8MB compressed, and it uncompressed to some ungodly size.  It also takes
>about 9 hours to compile with gcc1.39 (oh, so I'm told).  You do need the
>up-to-date gcc and gas to compile these.   Also on there I'll put a copy
>of the binaries forspice, nutmeg and the other tools in spice-bin.cpio.Z,
>although you'll need the libraries/examples found in the source archive to
>use this (so make sure you get both -- hope you have a Trailblazer or Internet
>access too!).  The binary cpio archive will save you the 9 hours of
>compiling...  I haven'tfully tested this, although I managed to set up this
>on my second UNIXpc.
[...]

In a recent note from Jim Adams, I got this...

|Just discovered a bug in the online help .txt files.  Seems that instead
|of just using the file list vector in the source code the help system
|looks for the subjects in a case-dependent manner.  This causes you to
|get nothing but an intro screen when you type help.  I will ftp the
|following tonight:
|
|spice-src.cp.Z   : source distr. with corrected help files.
|
|spice-bin.cp.Z   : binaries with all other files needed to run, so uucp
|                   folks won't have to snarf the entire source distr.

Note you don't need to get the SOURCE now!  The libraries and manual pages
are included in this -bin file!

|spice-hlp.cp.Z   : just the corrected helpdir for those who already have
|                   the code.  (there were so many corrected lines that a
|                   context diff would have ended up bigger than the files)

If you got the code before April 17th, then you need this now.  It corrects
the bug.  If not, then the source or binary distributions are just fine.

Enjoy!
-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano, RISC System/6000 AIX Kernel Software Support
Internet  : lenny at risctakr.austin.ibm.com   Location  : Austin, TX (Zip 2900)