SMGR/Crontab Problem on 3B1 kills newsrun

Donald Lashomb donlash at uncle.uucp
Fri Feb 8 14:08:32 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb7.055142.21744 at colnet.uucp> res at colnet.uucp (Rob Stampfli) writes:
=I have just been experimenting with a problem I had with cnews running on
=an AT&T Unix-PC (3B1) (3.51m OS).  Occasionally, newsrun would terminate
=prematurely, leaving partially uncompressed files.  No news was lost -- the
=problem was self correcting on the next invocation of newsrun.  It did leave
=partially uncompressed news files in the incoming news directory, though.
=
=I traced this problem to the use of the <MSG> key on the console -- apparently
=all processes attached to w5 (SMGR) get the SIGINT signal (Signal 2) each time
=the <MSG> key on the console is depressed!  The scenerio goes like this:
[...]
=For us 3B1 owners, I think we need to investigate what the full implications
=of this phenomenon are.  Obviously, the use of the <MSG> key can interfere
=with the execution of crontab processes if they are not explicitly protected.
=Anyone have any ideas?

You might want to try my version of cron (recently posted to alt.sources and
unix-pc.sources).  Crontab jobs in my version run unattached to any tty.
BTW- you also get at(1), batch(1) and user crontab(1) with my cron.

Unabashedly,
Don		donlash at uncle.UUCP