HDB uucico won't switch speeds??

Bill Meahan wwm at wa8tzg..mi.org
Wed Feb 27 11:30:26 AEST 1991

Hmmmm.

Sometimes the 2400-baud line to my newsfeed (actually a local network
dial-in node) just doesn't complete the call on the internal network.

When that happens, my feed can be down for up to a day :-(

No problem, there is a 1200-baud dial in line that is seldom busy.  So,
I can MANUALLY switch the entry in /usr/lib/uucp/Systems to dial the
1200-baud number.

B U T

HDB uucp SHOULD automatically switch speeds or dial different numbers or
do whatever by detecting multiple entries in the Systems file for the
same system.  If entry 1 fails, it should try entry 2 and so forth,
doing whatever is specified in the entry.  On my HP9000/825 at work,
this is just exactly what happens: If the direct Telebit PEP line
doesn't conect, it tries a V.32 network port and then (ugh) a 2400-baud
network node.  Everything works as planned.

On the 3b1, however, HDB uucico DOES attempt to process the second entry
and calls 'fixline' with a 1200-baud parameter (as verified by using
uucico with a -x9 debug flag).  Darn it!  The port STAYS at 2400 baud!

Could it be because I have /dev/tty000 defined as a 2400 baud line in
the 'Hardware Setup' area?  Will this problem go away when I upgrade
from 3.51a to 3.51m this weekend?  Am I doomed forever?  Will John and
Marcia ever reconcile?  Will ...   (OOPS! got carried away there ;-)

Any advice/counsel/RTFM's (WHAT FM?) greatly appreciated.  (This
newsgroup gives better answers faster for free than the HP 'Support
Line' does for 10 grand a year!  Be proud of yourselves!)

Peace!
--
Bill Meahan (WA8TZG)             |   Programming is simple:
wwm at wa8tzg.mi.org  OR            |