comp.sources.3b1

DoN Nichols dnichols at ceilidh.beartrack.com
Fri Feb 22 14:23:23 AEST 1991

In article <11381 at pbhya.PacBell.COM> jacalca at PacBell.COM (JA "Cal" Calcaterra) writes:
>In article <326 at sialis.mn.org> rjg at sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
>>An open general request:  When submitting source to
>>comp.sources.3b1, please consider the possibility that someone
>>won't have any idea as to what it is.  Please include a brief
>>description at the top of part 1 of n that describes what the
>>code that follows, actually does.

	[ ... ]

>I see that and raise it two   :-)

	[ ... ]

>My raise to the "open general request(s)" is:
>
> - to include clues to the code, items, things other than come with a stock
>   3b1, that posted source depends on.

	Add to that a note in the notes with the sources archives on osu-cis
which suggest other packages which should be snarfed at the same time to
complete a project.

	e.g.  a note in the discription of the package for making a bootable
		floppy-based system which recognizes the floppy-tape drive.
		Once you get it, you discover that you should have gotten
		the "kern" package, (which I already had), and the
		"config.sh.Z", which I did not have.  Since I have to
		do my ftp access during work hours, and my 3b1/7300 work
		during home hours, this adds an extra day (if things go
		well) to the time needed to assemble such a package into a
		working form.

		Also, perhaps a note at the beginning indicating that Doug
		Gwyn's 'ndir' package is useful, the 'alloca.s' should be
		present if you're going to be building things from GNU,
		etc.  I've learned a lot of this in porting code to my old
		v7 machine (still 68000), and the unix-pc is a LOT easier to
		port code to, but still...

	Thanks
		DoN.
--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564