Control key, mouse cursor, floppy boot, ksh window.

7794 mark at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV
Wed Feb 20 13:29:33 AEST 1991

* First, the canonical (but accurate) header:
	* I'm new to the net.
	* I'm sure what I'm asking has been answered before, but I
	  couldn't find anything in comp.sources.3b1

* I'm looking for information on the following:
	* How can you (short of cutting and jumpering the pc board)
	  interchange the functions of the (left)control and caps-lock
	  keys? I believe it can be done in software, and suspect it
	  involves /etc/ioctl.syscon, which is tersely documented in
	  init.1m. The ioctl.syscon on my system contains the single
	  line:
d26:1805:bd:2b:0:7f:1c:8:40:4:0:0:0
	  (uname on my system responds: 3.5).
	* How can you change the shape (icon) of the mouse cursor? I
	  have experimented with the WIOCSETMOUSE ioctl, using MSICON
	  in the um_flags field of struct umdata. (Doc. in window.7,
	  font.4, /usr/include/sys/window.h, /usr/include/sys/font.h).
	  I can't get it to work.
	* Is there any way to modify hard disk files when booting with
	  the diagnostic (or some other type of) floppy disk? If you
	  mess up something (e.g. /unix, /etc/rc, /etc/ioctl.syscon),
	  is there any way to recover, boot from an alternate kernel,
	  etc., short of formatting the disk and re-loading all the
	  software?

* If anyone's interested (although I assume this is yesterday's news
  in this group), I have code that pops up an arbitrary-sized window
  with ksh running in it. I do not use TAM: My /etc/passwd shell is
  just ksh, because I want a full-size 80x24 window. But it's nice
  to be able to suspend and go to the other window to kill a hung
  process.