Benchmark articles posted (long)

Kris A. Kugel kak at hico2.UUCP
Sat Feb 16 04:26:06 AEST 1991

I've posted two articles, one to ONLY comp.sys.3b1,
and the other ONLY to unix-pc.general.
These two articles are <1068 at hico2.UUCP> and <1069 at hico2.UUCP> .
If aliasing is working correctly, somewhere the unix-pc.general
article will start appearing in the comp.sys.3b1 group.

I'm figuring that the comp.sys.3b1 article will be useful if
anybody else wants to run the same kind of analysis.  I
appologize for posting it in these informational groups,
but sites may have already aliased unix-pc.test to misc.test,
and I think that this is important enough to do this NOW.

Meanwhile, I've run a quick benchmark looking for systems that
articles posted to JUST comp.sys.3b1, and compared them to the
accumulated articles posted to JUST unix-pc.*.

For each of the articles on these lists, I got the path of the article,
produced a list of which machines the article had passed through,
and then sorted the list to remove duplicates.  I don't know
how aliasing will have affected this, it may have some false negatives.
The only way I can remove false positives is if more people post
articles to ONLY comp.sys.3b1, which is evidently a good way
to keep many people from getting your article.  (*sigh*)

I'll try to post a script for doing this when I can.
(I have 4 higher-priority projects going on right now)

I note with interest that tsdiag and westmark, my major feeds,
(who get most of their mail from att), haven't forwarded ANY
of the articles posted to just comp.sys.3b1 here.  Both system
administrators have said that they have changed their news sys
file to do so.  (*sigh* again.)  I suspect their feeds from att.

This measure is not completely scientific, because it depends
on which machines are posting messages, which machines
are most efficent at passing news, etc.  But still . . . .

SUMMARY FOLLOWS
===============
(all articles considered were posted to ONE newsgroup)

Systems that I haven't seen comp.sys.3b1 articles come through,
that I have seen unix-pc.* articles come through:

acorn
agate
alice
andante
attcan
bagend
balilly.UUCP
beartrk
blilly.UUCP
bluemoon
boulder
bu.edu
casbah.acns.nwu.edu
cbnews
cbnewsh
crackers
cs.umn.edu
csn
csusac
cup.portal.com
das13
daver
ddsw1
decwrl
ditka
drutx
druwa
eci
emory
fbits
fernwood
fmsrl7
hayes.ims.alaska.edu
hoswjc
hpftc
hsdndev
iguana
ispd-newsserver
kodak
laidbak
lavaca.uh.edu
lectroid
limbic
lll-winken
lobster
longbow
lsuc
magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu
masscomp
math.lsa.umich.edu
maytag
mcdchg
mcsun
menudo.uh.edu
mgweed
milton
mips
morwyn
msi.umn.edu
n8emr
ncar
ncrcan
news-server.csri.toronto.edu
news.cs.indiana.edu
nyet
obdient
ocpt
pacbell
pacbell.com
portal
problem
proton
proxima
psuvax1
psuvm
quest
ramecs
sactoh0
scocan
sharkey
shelby
skeeve
skypod
slammer
sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM
spies
spool.mu.edu
spool2.mu.edu
stiatl
sun-barr
swbatl
teemc
telly
terminator
trac2000
transfer
trux
tsdiag
ttank
tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
ucbvax
ucsd
ukc
umich
uncle
unify
utgpu
utzoo
uunet
uupsi
vmp
wa8tzg
watserv1
westmark
xenitec
yclept
yonder
zephyr.ens.tek.com
zinn

Machines I've gotten comp.sys.3b1 articles from,
(but don't have a record of unix-pc articles going through)
	bronze
	bucket
	convex
	copper
	cornell
	dsl.pitt.edu
	duke
	egsner
	gatech
	haven
	jarthur
	mcnc
	mtek
	mtek.com
	nntp-server.caltech.edu
	ogicse
	parsely
	pdxgate
	pt.cs.cmu.edu
	purdue
	rochester
	sci.ccny.cuny.edu
	swrinde
	texrex
	uflorida
	umbc3
	umbc4.umbc.edu

Machines that I've gotten unix-pc and comp.sys.3b1 articles
through over the last month:
ames
apple
att