how do I get ftp?

Thaddeus P. Floryan thad at public.BTR.COM
Wed Feb 27 01:09:33 AEST 1991

One person (whom some of you may remember) is presently having a news feed
problem, with nothing entering or exiting his site.  He asked me to repost
the enclosed reply on his behalf.  So be it.

Thad Floryan [ thad at btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

-------------------- begin enclosed material

Forwarded message:
>From kpc.com!bri Wed Feb 20 20:42:00 PST 1991
Article: 102 of comp.sys.3b1
Newsgroups: comp.sys.3b1
From: bri at kpc.com (Brian Rice)
Subject: Re: how do I get ftp?
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 1991 04:28:53 GMT

Ah, as many of you know, I rarely post my input publicly... I prefer to
respond directly in most cases... but since the subject has come up...

First, I am saddened by the fact that we still have only one choice for
network software for this machine.  WIN TCP/IP is hardly a solution:
sendmail is completely unusable and file transfers are slower than a call
back from your favorite customer service rep.  That part strikes me as
funny:  I now have a sun 3/50 on my home network and while the 3b1 is
nearly 3 times faster in MANY aspects, if you connect two suns together
the file transfer rate is almost four times faster.  A Sun addict will be
quick to respond that "that's because networking is built into the kernel"
but my response to that ridiculous comment is "I'd like to see you get
networking up and running WITHOUT kernel support" (These comments I make
BECAUSE a sun "guru" made the prior statement!).  It's actually a close
to true statement: The problem lies in the device driver...
And since Thad just distributed DOZENS of device driver manuals I
wonder if one of you folks is going to come up with some neat stuff.
In the meantime, had anyone compiled a version of sendmail that doesn't
leave defunct processes or 'worm-holes'?
Thanks fer yer support.
P.S. Will-Go-Wrong won my heart again today, as my MIS manager and I
debugged a WIN TCP problem on our VAX:
Seems the example for defining a gateway capability shows an arguement
of "...GATEWAY=YES" (don't remember the exact syntax, just the arguement)
Since that wasn't what we wanted we set it to NO.
Guess what: ANY arguement to the line is interpreted as YES.
It needs to be de-assigned.
Documented?
Fuck no.
Brian Rice