premature dropping of unix-pc.* (was Re: semi regular kit blurb)

Gary S. Trujillo gst at gnosys.svle.ma.us
Fri Feb 15 07:37:45 AEST 1991

In <1991Feb12.072818.24706 at i88.isc.com> botton at i88.isc.com
	(Brian D. Botton) writes:

> Hi Netland Kit Builders,
>   This will probably be my last multiple group posting, I can't tell you how
> glad I am to have the new groups, ;-)...

I don't want to pick on Brian, but I selected this posting to follow up since
Brian has been a regular poster for a while, and makes explicit mention of
his dropping unix-pc.general from the Newsgroups line of his posting.

My opinion is that not only should the unix-pc.* newsgroups be kept around
for a few months, but that we should all continue to cross-post to them for
this same time period (say through the end of April).  Some of us are in
the position of getting only a partial news feed, and having to negotiate
with a busy system administrator at a net-neighbor site in order to pick up
the feed of the new comp.*.3b1 newsgroups.  After several weeks of poking
and prodding and gentle reminders, I finally succeeded myself, but I'm sure
I've missed quite a bit of traffic in the process.

I thought the whole point of having a few months of keeping the unix-pc.*
newsgroups around was to permit people to switch over gently and gradually,
without missing anything.  If people stop cross-posting to those groups,
the whole scheme falls apart.  Sure, it provides additional incentive to
pick up the new newsgroups, but just because they're carried in the main-
stream hierarchy is no guarantee that they're going to be easy for every-
one to pick up, in fact, I can think of some folks who are at the end of
a UNIXpc-based chain who are dependent upon net-neighbors who currently
have no access themselves to the new newsgroups.

So - I make an appeal:  Please continue to cross-post to unix-pc.general and
unix-pc.sources (I don't care so much about unix-pc.uucp and unix-pc.test)
at least until the end of April.

There, now I feel better!  :-)

Gary

P.S. to people in this position - did you know that unix-pc.general has
     dried up to a trickle, while comp.sys.3b1 is going like gangbusters,
     and that there have been a number of goodies posted to the new
     sources newsgroup???  I'll post a list in unix-pc.general and in
     comp.sys.att to let you see what you're missing.
    Gary S. Trujillo                            gst at gnosys.svle.ma.us
Somerville, Massachusetts              {wjh12,bu.edu,spdcc,ima,cdp}!gnosys!gst