the Doctor

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.ssdl.com
Sun Feb 17 16:25:15 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb16.204911.21017 at kodak.kodak.com> zientara at kodak.kodak.com (Dennis Zientara) writes:
>I have been monitoring the discussion about the doctor through it's
>entire cycle. It has been interesting to say the least.

If you had been monitoring the whole line of discussion, it would be
plainly apparent to you who the individuals are who you're talking about.

>I noticed that everyone who got involved, did so voluntarily. Nobody
>was forced to read or participate.

That is correct.

>I saw that many immature participants responded with obsenity and/or
>profanity.  Others also obviously immature, tried to participate by
>having the biggest mouth :-) Still others tried to prevail by virtue
>of sheer volume of postings.

I've noticed about 10 articles (tops) out of the 100 or so over that
course of time in this newsgroup.  Hardly enough to warrant volume of
postings.

I did request that folks refrain from continuing the discussion in this
group any further, and I ask again that they please do so.  It does
nothing but hurt this community, as you'll see later.

>The literally hundreds and hundreds of postings with reasonable prices
>seems to indicate that:
>	1) Although the Doctor's view wasn't popular, it was very
>           correct. Let's call him Dr Who ;-)

I don't think that you're fairly defining the term "reasonable."  I
also have looked at the prices of equipment sold in the 3B1 market.
They indicated that my prices were in-line with what other people were
asking for same.  Since everything except a keyboard, disk drive, and
2 3b1s have been sold, I can't say that my prices were at all out-of-line.
In fact, I still get e-mail messages daily inquiring about the voice
power boards that I've already sold.

If the prices were at all out-of-line, "I'll repeat for emphasis" that
there would be nobody wishing to buy it, regardless of how desperate
they were to buy a piece of computer hardware.

So the points you are trying to make regarding the show of support are
moot.  I have received both e-mail messages and phone calls regarding
this, and all of them have been positive.  I feel that's support enough.
The friends I have made through the net would give me a stern word of
advice if I had been attempting to rip them off.  With the exception of
one person, that was not the case.

>I also noticed that many of the original respondents like Jan, Lenny,
>Augustine, and more have wisely retreated from the limelight of a discussion
>that has gravitated to rather juvenile groppling.

Jan doesn't post comparatively all that often; Augustine has helped
by staying out of the discussion; and Lenny has too many matters of a
personal nature to deal with to waste his time in discussions like this.
I, also, have too much to do to waste my time on things like this.  You
might have also included John Milton, Bob Granvin, Mike ("Ford") Ditto,
Dave Brierley, etc. in your list of people who have contributed a
great deal to this newsgroup.  I *personally* know most of the people
on this group who do the posting, and we all respect each other for
our individual talents.  I've seen absolutely *NO* positive contributions
from the people who have bitched about the prices for the equipment I've
sold, or who have supported Mikie.

I am going to conclude this entire thread of discussion by saying that
I refuse to attempt to justify my points any further in regard to this
utter bullshit.  If Mike Shea is really a Doctor, or even a person at
that, then let him get the balls up to send me a copy of his so-called
article (or, better yet, post it on the net so that Bob Granvin and
others can read it).  My apologies to the net for mentioning in public
the reasons why ureka might be losing mail/news.  I really feel that
after all the time I spent helping others through this medium, that this
is not the kind of treatment I deserve.

Dennis, you can start by taking over from where I left off...
--
Gil Kloepfer, Jr.              gil at limbic.ssdl.com   ...!ames!limbic!gil
Southwest Systems Development Labs (Div of ICUS)   Houston, Texas