"Floppy tape"

Mariusz Stanczak Mariusz at fbits.ttank.com
Mon Feb 18 10:30:52 AEST 1991

Having recently accuired a tape backup unit (thanks Vince),
I have the following quiestions:

	- what is the size of one "segment" (23MB/6/254 not
	  integer size)?

	- has anyone created a standalone boot floppy with
	  a configuration that would permit the use of the
	  tape unit?  What would that entail if I were to
	  create one?

	- even with large blocking (256KB is the largest
	  I could enter to `gtar') the unit does not seem
	  to "stream" for long... it's runs more like a saw,
	  forth and back.  Is that it's "beauty"?  This be-
	  havior makes it VERY slow (though I appreciate
	  having the ability to "compress"-backup the whole
	  44MB on one cart :-)).  Any work-arounds (`dbuf'
	  does help some, but not enough)?

Thanks to all,

-Mariusz
INET: Mariusz at fbits.ttank.com
CIS : 71601.2430 at compuserve.com
UUCP: ..!uunet!zardoz!ttank!fbits!Mariusz