3b1 tape drive blues

Rex Fowler rmfowler at texrex.uucp
Tue Feb 26 13:17:16 AEST 1991

In article <3402 at naucse.cse.nau.edu> jdc at naucse.cse.nau.edu (John Campbell) writes:
>From article <1991Feb22.062723.333 at texrex.uucp>, by rmfowler at texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler):
>>
>> I run the tape diagnostics, the 3 tests for the controller pass but
>> then it says the tape drive isn't ready.  The tape drive is plugged
>> in, connected to the board, and a tape is inserted and the retension
>> phase seems to work ok.  Latch is closed also(pointing up).
>
>Let me add my experience and ask for the tape experts to jump in  here on
>the net.
>
>etc.)
>
>On machine B the tape drive behaves as described by Rex above.  In other words,
>the same controller, tape drive and cable that works fine in two machines
>fails in my third machine!  I've even changed out the CPU and ROMS between
>machine A and machine B with no luck.   Machine B, by the way, passes all
>standard diagnostics but fails the floppy tape diagnostics.
>
>Again, the machine that fails will pass the controller diagnostics and then
>tell me that tape drive is not ready.  I'm sure both Rex and I are wondering
>what signal is used to tell the 3b1 that the tape drive is ready and what
>possible explanation there would be that could explain the above situation.
>
>Rex, it may be that there is nothing wrong with your cable, tape drive
>or controller board.  Know anyone nearby who would let you use your floppy
>tape on their machine?
>--
>	John Campbell               jdc at naucse.cse.nau.edu
>                                    CAMPBELL at NAUVAX.bitnet
>	unix?  Sure send me a dozen, all different colors.

This seems very weird but I'm coming to expect it.
I think I know someone who will let me test it on his system.

I was playing around with it tonight and i stuck another tape in,
waited for the retensioning phase to complete and then THIS time
the light came on and the latch locked.  I still wasn't able to
access the tape, I got the same error icon at the top of the screen
telling me the drive wasn't ready.   I was hopeful there for a second
but no luck.

Computer Horizons (Thanks Little David!!) offered to have a look at it
but I will try to do some testing locally first.

P.S.  John, I've been trying to reach you via email on another topic,
      I used the address in your sig but I haven't heard from you yet.
      The mail didn't bounce.  Have you received it?

--
Rex Fowler <rmfowler%texrex at cirr.com>
UUCP:  egsner!texrex!rmfowler