Hidden program and Disk info

Thaddeus P. Floryan thad at public.BTR.COM
Tue Feb 19 23:06:54 AEST 1991

alanf at daysinns.UUCP (Daniel Alan Fleming) in <785 at daysinns.UUCP> writes:

	[...]
	I was cleaning dust bunnies the other day and finally noted the
	revision level on my motherboard: Rev D.  Was that one of the problem
	boards with the mythical WD2010?

As I discovered during the research for the "DRUN Patch" permitting use of the
WD2010 disk controller chip with *ALL* 3B1/UNIXPCs, there were at least 3 major
motherboard revisions being concurrently manufactured by Convergent during the
3B1's heyday.  I, too, was initially misled by the "Rev. #" sticker found near
the volume control pot.  One has to ALSO examine the motherboard trace/drawing
reference number located near the left rear of the machine.  From the docs I
posted for the DRUN Patch:

	[...]
	The second "clue" was an observable pattern of which motherboard "Rev.
	Level" systems failed with a WD2010 and which succeeded with a WD2010,
	but ONLY up to a point; there were still, say, some "Rev. C" systems
	that would and some that wouldn't "take" a WD2010.

	The final "clue" was the presence of three separate and distinct
	system circuit schematics in the latest copies of the UNIXPC Reference
	Manual.

	System	Desc.	Schematic Set	Originally	Revision Levels

	S4 CPU P5 1MB	D-08-00225-00   20-May-1985	A through F
	S4 CPU		D-08-00230-00    9-Jan-1985	A through D
	S4 CPU		D-08-00222-00    9-Jan-1985	A through J

And note the "Rev. Level" are not coincident.  "D" on a 230 board is not the
same as "D" on a 222 board or a 225 board.

Since that original posting, I've seen a D-08-00216-00 board which is really
weird ... its floppy connector is completely reversed from all other boards
and there's no shielding over the telephony circuitry.

And there are also "stickers" placed over the "D-08-00xxx-00" along the lines
of "-00236-00" and other variations along with other "Rev. #" variations.

To locate the board schematic number:

	+--------------------------------+
	|           [connectors]         |
	|X                               |
	|                       [RAM]   V|    "V" = volume control

The "XX" is the board number, in copper, written vertically; it may be obscured
by a sticker.  Remove the sticker and re-affix it off to the side since BOTH
numbers are important when seeking help.   The "Rev. #" stickers are usually
located near the volume control.

Thad Floryan [ thad at btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]