Help w/Unix-pc Clock battery

Lon Stowell lstowell at pyrnova.pyramid.com
Wed Feb 20 14:23:11 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb19.133649.11150 at colnet.uucp> res at colnet.uucp (Rob Stampfli) writes:
>>>Does any one knwo where I can get a spare internal clock battery
>>>for my 7300 unix pc??
>>
>>You can get one at Radio Shack.  It's a 3 volt lithium battery.  It
>>needs to be soldered into the motherboard, after unsoldering the old
>>one.
>
>Your experience was better than mine.  Although Radio Shack does indeed carry
>Lithium 3V batteries (even of the same size and shape as that found in my
>Unix-PC, they did not have any with solder tabs, and the manager where I
>shopped further claimed that no Radio Shack store carried the versions with
>solder tabs.
>--

  Mainly because of the unfortunate tendency of lithiums to
  spread their contents rapidly around the surrounding real
  estate ( i.e. they explode ) if overheated or shorted
  out--which causes overheating.

  I just checked my CMC catalog and it doesn't list a battery
  for the ATT...nor does it list ANY computer battery which
  requires soldering of the battery...all units listed come with
  a set of wires and a plug...and this catalog is aimed at
  repair techies, not the average solder nerd.

  If you do solder a lithium, use a good heat sink between the
  solder point and the battery itself.  Protective glasses
  wouldn't be a bad idea.  Counter-intuitively, use a LARGE tip
  on a high wattage iron to get in and out fast....prior to
  heating of the battery itself.

  A small piece of crayon on the battery can save your
  vision...if it melts, the battery is getting warm...and may
  explode.

  You should be able to get a new battery from Digikey, etc. by
  noting the mfgr's p/n.